Saturday, January 30, 2016

ART FROM THE MAIN HOUSE: Sunday Postcard Art Challenge (01-31-16)

Deborah is our host this week at the Sunday Postcard Art challenge and she has chosen ORANGE as the theme.  While a color challenge may seem simple to some, I always find it somewhat difficult--and orange was once my most feared color! Years ago, a challenge just like this one forced me to get outside my comfort zone and just do it.  Since, I actually have come to like orange--especially as a background color.

For today's project, I began with a piece of Ranger Specialty Stamping paper, cut to 4x6".  Using my craft mat as a palette, I squeezed drops of Archival Re-inkers in Monarch Orange and Pink Peony.  I added just a couple of drops of Archival Ink Mixative in Gold, then sprinkled lots of rubbing alcohol (surgical spirits) over everything.  I mixed this lightly with a plastic palette knife then dipped my paper repeatedly in this mixture until I was happy with the coating.  To add a bit of speckling, I sprayed more rubbing alcohol onto the card and laid it flat to dry.  

My focal image is one called Dream Girl from Unity Stamps.  The text stamp is from Stampers Anonymous and is called Handwritten Thoughts.


I hope you will find some time this week to play along with Deborah's challenge at the Sunday Postcard Art challenge site.

Thanks so much for visiting and for taking a moment to leave a comment.  I read and appreciate each one!

Cheers!

23 comments:

  1. A beautiful shade of orange and wise words as well! Lovely postcard Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Kay, simple but oh so striking,really effective
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great impact with this seemingly simple card !
    Fantastic, Kay !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to use orange, Kay! I'm glad you got over your phobia (mine's purple!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kay...it has been an age since I last popped over to your blog! Loving this project, so vibrant and beautiful! Love the sentiment and beautifully done! ;-) I hope you and the family are well and also wishing you a fabulous, blessed and healthy 2016! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the partial face, that works so well here. Nice background too. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another home run my friend. There is something about partial faces that intrigues me, I do it a lot in my work, so naturally this caught my eye. Loving your use of orange. It's the new black ya know? Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another home run my friend. There is something about partial faces that intrigues me, I do it a lot in my work, so naturally this caught my eye. Loving your use of orange. It's the new black ya know? Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple, balance, beautiful. I admire your text skills!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple, balance, beautiful. I admire your text skills!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! These stamps were made for each other and go so beautifully with this fabulous background! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colour and the background. Love how you stamped half off the page. Fabulous sentiment. Giveaway over at Rubber Dance http://rubberdance.blogspot.no/2016/01/altered-chipboard-butterfly-giveaway.html hurry over. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple and elegant, your post card is wonderful. Thanks for joining my blog too, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and elegant, your post card is wonderful. Thanks for joining my blog too, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kay this is a fabulous postcard - love the simplicity and the text is just so perfect. I've been thinking a great deal lately about wonder and beauty, and this reminder is very timely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another simple but great card my dear Kay!!! :)
    I should really try your technique to get such background one day, but I don't have any Archival re-inker... Maybe it could work also with any type of re-inker, I will try!
    Big hugs, mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Kay this is gorgeous and I just love the colours. So glad you overcame your fear of orange. This is spectacular. I love your uncluttered approach. So striking and I did not know you could mix reinkers with alcohol inks. Going to try this one and in those colours if I have them Stunning <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous background and great stamp choices to go with it - love those words!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous contemporary card ! Kay . Love the stark black imagery against your gorgeous background . Thank you for sharing how you created it - gonna have to give it a go .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment! Your kind words are appreciated and serve as inspiration to me.