Monday, August 20, 2012

THAT DREADED COLOR ORANGE!

Orange has never been a color I liked.  I wouldn't use it in decorating, and I would certainly never wear it!  Even when orange lipstick was in vogue, I wouldn't buy it!

However, while on the Design Team at the popular "Let's Scrap" scrapbooking website, I was forced into using it in a monochromatic layout!  My head spun, my eyes glazed over, my knees shook, and my hands trembled.

Near this same time, my husband and I took a day trip to New Hampshire to one of our favorite wineries.  As is usual for us, the camera went along.  Once inside the winery, I began to notice all the oranges and started clicking!  I will show you the layout I created, but first I want to show you my most recent art journal page.  And, yes, I got over my displeasure with orange and have used it happily here!

For the background (after laying down a coat of Gesso), I used 3 shades of homemade mist created from Perfect Pearls (for shine), distress re-inkers (for color), and water.  I then used the circle stamp, followed by the numbers stamp.  I wanted to try to "drip" technique, so I used an orange shade of distress re-inker right out of the dropper, stood my page up and let the ink travel where it would.  On the left side, the ink from the stamped image began to travel with the re-inker, but I actually like the outcome!  I used ModPodge to adhere my "art" (cut from a museum brochure and unidentified).  The last layer is the "life is art...." stamp--one of my favorites!


Just in case you are curious about my Design Team challenge, here's how it turned out:


Thanks for stopping by today!  Please leave a comment so that I will know you were here.  If you have a blog you would like me to visit, be sure to include that address!

Cheers!

13 comments:

  1. Hello Kay, a wonderful orange page!! You should use this colour more often :)
    Have a nice day
    Beate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you about using orange on a page. The only time I do it is if it is a fall layout but looking at both your wonderful art page and your layout I think I might just have to change my mind about the color orange. Both of them are fantastic in that color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, I love orange for a summer or fall page. Your winery page turned out fabulous. I like the dripage on your art journal page. I am liking all the layers you are giving the page too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of orange! Looking at your winery page I never would have thought that you had such a strong dislike of orange. Looks like you and Orange can work and play well together now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your orange journal page Kay and I can remember seeing the DT layout

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am not fond of orange, only in the fall, as Carol said. I love both your scrapbook page and your journal page. I am looking forward to many great ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL....love reading your posts Kay...you make me giggle! Love both your projects in orange and they are both stunning! I love the sentiment on your mixed media project...think I might steal that little phrase and then also love your layout! You set it out so perfectly! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Kay i was wondering where all your comments were on lets scrap i always look at what you have to say you are an interesting blogger.... i love the art journal, like denise i love those motivation sayings and the layout is great ........ have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. I avoided orange too for years until the last year or so. Don't remember what shifted but something did. Fabulous journal page!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your orange page turned out marvelous. I just discovered your blog . . . I love journaling and love looking into other peoples journals. Yours is amazing. I am your newest follower, and I would be honored if you would follow me back. I have met so many lovely and talented people through blogging and this media has certainly enriched my life. Have a wonderful day, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not an "orange-girl" either! I do love it on your art journal page & also on your layout! I actually bought some of that Maple liquor in New Hampshire! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the color blocking on your layout, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool! Love the colours and the smearing is the perfect extra for this page.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment! Your kind words are appreciated and serve as inspiration to me.