Sunday, August 12, 2012

USING MAGAZINE FIGURES AS SILHOUETTES

I found an intriguing picture of Sherlock Holmes in a magazine ad, and promptly cut it out.  I had read about using magazine figures as silhouettes and had even seen this technique used by other artists, but had never tried it.  When I recently visited my sister on Cape Cod, I accompanied her to the "transfer station" (aka the "dump") and found what is called a Swap Shop.  It was a free-standing building and inside were shelves and tables of usable goods and things of interest--all for free.  This was "one man's trash is another man's treasure" come to life!  Well, I spied the magazine rack and the rest is history!

So, back to Sherlock.  I used torn book pages (also picked up two books while in the Swap Shop) and adhered them to my page using ModPodge.  Next, since the ModPodge wasn't quite dry, when I placed my silhouette into position, it conveniently clung to my page.  I covered the page with black ink using a Tim Holtz applicator, hoping to create what I imagined would be a smoky aura of mystery--ok, that didn't work *quite* as I imagined it!

The title of this page came from the expression that explains the unexplainable, those things of mystery:  THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! 


Thanks for stopping by my blog!  Please take a moment to JOIN as a follower if you have not already done so, and the leave a comment so that I will know you were here!

Cheers!


5 comments:

  1. Great idea and cleaver idea for the page. Wish we had the "Swap Shop" at our dump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Kay! And a swap shop? What a wonderful find! Keep the posts coming! -nitzah

    ReplyDelete
  3. But it i s a somoky aura of mystery!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever idea Kay and also love this sentiment! I think your project came out really well! Experimenting and playing and having fun is what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you accomplished your air of mystery just fine, Kay. Love the silhouette! I must try that myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment! Your kind words are appreciated and serve as inspiration to me.